- More than one in three adults worldwide have raised blood pressure.
- In many countries in Africa, > 40% of adults are estimated to have high blood pressure (World Health Organization Report).
- Hypertension is the term for high blood pressure, that the circulating blood applies to the inner walls of the arteries.
- Untreated high blood pressure causes strain and damage to heart and arteries leading to increased risk of heart failure, heart attack, stroke and kidney disease.
- Pre-hypertension >120/80 but <140/90 mmHg
- Hypertension ≥ 140/90 mmHg
- Treatment starts with life style changes such as low salt diet, fruits and vegetables, physical activity, avoiding harmful use of alcohol ( no more than one drink a day).
- Goal blood pressure :
– If you have diabetes or kidney disease <130/80 mmHg
– If you do not have diabetes or kidney disease <140/90 mmHg